Wayne County 4-H members interested in participating in the State 4-H Forestry Contest on Saturday, May 4, are encouraged to contact our office at 304-272-6839 as soon as possible to learn about practice dates and times.
The State 4-H Forestry Judging Event is designed to provide youth participants with the opportunity to develop skills in critical thinking, leadership, teamwork, evaluation, communications, self-discipline, and decision-making. The event provides youths opportunities to: a) acquire information about forest ecosystems and forestry skills used in forest management and the unitization of forest products; b) learn basic principles and techniques in judging forest land in relationship to its potential for economic and recreation development, and c) appreciate and manage wisely West Virginia’s forest resources.
WV 4-H/FFA Members: See Judging Contest General Rules for specific team composition, entry, state eligibility, etc.
WHEN: Saturday, April 29th, 2023
WHERE: Westvaco Natural Resources Center at WVU Forest
COST: Counties will be responsible for meals, travel, and any needed lodging.
Registration Deadline: Friday, April 14, 2023
- Registration at Westvaco Natural Resources Center | 9:00-9:30 am
- Orientation | 9:30-9:45 am
- Written Exam | 9:45-10:30 am
- Tree Measurement | 10:30-11:30 am
- Forest Evaluation (Team) | 11:30 -12:15 pm
- Lunch | 12:15-1:00 pm
- Compass Traverse | 1:00-1:45 pm
- Insect & Disease ID | 1:45-2:30 pm
- Contest Review | 2:30-3:15 pm
- Awards & Homeward Bound | 3:15 pm
Forestry Judging is an event which gives practical experience in the following:
- Tree identification
- Measurement of tree height, diameter, and volume
- Compass traverse
- Insect and disease identification
- Forest evaluation
AWARDS AND INCENTIVES:
- Appropriate awards are presented.
- The winning senior team is eligible to represent West Virginia in the national
- Financial support for the team to attend the national contest is dependent upon the 2023 budget allocation.
Directions: Take Exit 15 off I-68 at Coopers Rock State Forest . Eastbound – turn left off exit ramp. Westbound – turn right off exit ramp. Turn right at T. Take the next left (Sand Springs Road/University Research Forest). Go approximately 2 miles. Natural Resources Center (MWNRC) is on left just over the covered bridge.
David McGill, Extension Specialist, Forestry at (304-293-5930) or email David.