Master Gardener Program
The WVU Extension Master Gardener Program provides people interested in gardening with the opportunity to expand their knowledge and sharpen their skills by taking part in Basic/Level 1 and Advanced/Level 2 training programs that provide in-depth training in various aspects of horticulture.
The program helps residents better understand horticultural and environmental issues
through community engagement in gardening and beautification projects at schools,
parks, public institutions, community organizations, and locations throughout the
How do you join?
The first step is to see if your county offers the program. Many of those in West Virginia do, so even if yours doesn’t, a neighboring county may. Call your local WVU Extension Service Office for information and watch for meetings in your area.
Once you’ve found a program, you’ll get 40 hours of training during a 12-week program where you’ll learn about a variety of things including: botany, plant propagation, entomology, pesticides and pest management, plant disease, soil and fertilizers, turfgrass management, vegetable gardening, gardening equipment, tree fruits, small fruit, pruning, landscape design, woody ornamentals, indoor plants, herbaceous plants, garden animals and teaching methods.
From there, pass a test and complete 40 hours of initial volunteer work and you’ll have earned the right to call yourself a WVU Extension Master Gardener.
Get out an help others grow while you grow your knowledge! Each year, a WVU Extension Master Gardener must complete 20 volunteer hours and 10 additional hours of horticulture training. Opportunities to volunteer are numerous, everything from helping your local WVU Extension agent answer questions to community beautification projects, coordinating school gardening programs to helping maintain the demonstration garden at the state fairgrounds in Fairlea — just to name a few.
There are numerous opportunities to connect with fellow Master Gardeners, not only in your community, but also across the state. The West Virginia Master Gardener Association hosts an annual conference that allows Master Gardeners from all over West Virginia to share ideas and projects and learn from expert speakers and interactive tours.
If you have questions about the program, contact your local WVU Extension Service office to get started today.
Master Gardener Member Resources
- Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Application
Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Agreement
- Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Code of Conduct
Extension Master Gardener Policy Statement and Guidelines
Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Activity Log - Word
Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Activity Log - Excel
- Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Activity Log - PDF
Master Gardener Annual Awards
Extensional Master Gardener Association
WVU Extension Service
- Outstanding Extension Master Gardener of the Year
- Outstanding Extension Master Gardener Project of the Year
Upcoming Master Gardener Events
- Mar315:30 PM - 8:30 PMMaster Gardener Training
- Apr75:30 PM - 8:30 PMMaster Gardener Training
- Apr145:30 PM - 8:30 PMMaster Gardener Training
- Apr17 All Day Cancelled - West Virginia Extension Master Gardener Association Annual Conference
- Apr18 All Day Cancelled - West Virginia Extension Master Gardener Association Annual Conference
- Apr19 All Day Cancelled - West Virginia Extension Master Gardener Association Annual Conference
- Apr215:30 PM - 8:30 PMMaster Gardener Training
- Apr285:30 PM - 8:30 PMMaster Gardener Training
- May55:30 PM - 8:30 PMMaster Gardener Training