State 4-H Creed Contest
What Is The Creed Contest?
The 4-H Creed Contest is designed to allow 4-H members to compete in a friendly, scripted competition while building public speaking confidence and skills.
Any current 4-H youth (age 8 as by 06/30/2022 up to 21 as of 9/30/2023) may enter regardless of his/her project enrollment.
- Junior: 4-H members age 8-10 by 06/30/2022.
- Intermediate: 4-H members age 11-13 by 06/30/2022.
- Senior: 4-H members age 14 by 06/30/2022 up to 21 as of 9/30/2023.
- Track 1: This track will be for those participants that feel confident in reciting the 4-H Creed from memory.
- Track 2: This track is for those participants that wish to have a copy of the 4-H Creed available to them during the recitation.
Greet virtual audience and state name, age, and club.
State “I will be reciting The 4-H Creed, written by an anonymous author.” Then recite the creed.
The 4-H Creed
I believe in 4-H CLUB work for the opportunity it will give me to become a useful
I believe in the training of my HEAD for the power it will give me to think, plan and to reason.
I believe in the training of my HEART for the nobleness it will give me to be kind, sympathetic and true.
I believe in the training of my HANDS for the ability it will give me to be helpful, skillful and useful.
I believe in the training of my HEALTH for the strength it will give me to enjoy life, to resist disease, and to work efficiently.
I believe in my country, my state and my community and in my responsibility for their development.
In all these things I believe and am willing to dedicate my efforts to their fulfillment.
After completing the creed, say “Thank you” and respond to one of the questions listed below. Be sure to state the question in your response.
- How will 4-H club work help you to become a useful citizen?
- In what way does 4-H train you to think, plan, and reason?
- What is a Creed?
- Why did you compete in the 4-H Creed Contest?/li>
- What is the 4-H Motto and what does it mean to you?
- What is your 4-H Club work?
- How have you and your club helped in the development of your community?
- Describe some of the ways that through your club projects, you have become helpful, useful, and skillful?
- How have you shown that you have taken responsibility for the development of your community, state, and country?
- Do you think the creed it true for youth of today? Why or why not?
- The 4-H Creed must be recited by one 4-H member individually. No team presentations will be accepted.
- There is no limit to the number of participants in each age division for each county. Participation in a county level 4-H Creed Contest is encouraged, but not required to enter this contest.
- 4-H members may be state (Gold Ribbon) winners once in each respective track and each age division.
- Event Registration will open on Sunday, April 2, 2023 and will close Sunday, April 30, 2023.
- Upon registration participants will receive information on how to prepare their Flipgrid submission.
- 4-H’ers should submit their entry in Flipgrid by Monday, May 8, 2023.
- Participants will be notified of their scores and feedback via the email address associated with their Flipgrid account no later than Friday, June 2, 2023.
Scoring and Awards
- Presentations will be scored using a 50 point rubric. A maximum of 10 points can be earned in each of the following categories: words correct, voice, manner and appearance, questions, and opening and closing (See rubric in registration documents for more detailed information).
- Qualified entries will receive a certificate for meriting in one of the following
categories in this state level contest:
- 45 points and above—GOLD
- 40-44 points—BLUE
- 30-39 points—RED
- 20-29 points—WHITE
- Below 20 points—GREEN