State 4-H Creed Contest
2021 Creed Contest Rules
- The 4-H Creed Contest is designed to allow 4-H members to compete in a friendly, scripted competition while building public speaking confidence and skills.
- Any current 4-H member (age 8 by 10/01/20 up to Last Day as a 21 year old) may enter regardless of his/her project enrollment.
- Track 1 - This track will be for those participants that feel confident in reciting the 4-H Creed from memory.
- Track 2 - This track is for those participants that wish to have a copy of the 4-H Creed available to them during the recitation.
- Presentations must include the following:
- Opening (Greet virtual audience and state name, age, and club)
Body (State “I will be reciting The 4-H Creed”, written by an
anonymous author.” and recite the creed)
—The 4-H Creed—
I believe in 4-H CLUB work for the opportunity it will give me to become a useful Citizen.
I believe in the training of my HEAD for the power it will give me to think, plan and to reason.
I believe in the training of my HEART for the nobleness it will give me to be kind, sympathetic and true.
I believe in the training of my HANDS for the ability it will give me to be helpful, skillful and useful.
I believe in the training of my HEALTH for the strength it will give me to enjoy life, to resist disease, and to work efficiently.
I believe in my country, my state and my community and in my responsibility for their development.
In all these things I believe and am willing to dedicate my efforts to their fulfillment.
- Closing (After completing the creed, say “Thank you” and respond to one of the questions listed below. Be sure to state the question in your response):
- How will 4-H club work help you to become a useful citizen?
- In what way does 4-H train you to think, plan, and reason?
- What is a Creed?
- Why did you compete in the 4-H Creed Contest?
- What is the 4-H Motto and what does it mean to you?
- What is your 4-H Club work?
- How have you and your club helped in the development of your community?
- Describe some of the ways that through your club projects, you have become helpful, useful, and skillful?
- How have you shown that you have taken responsibility for the development of your community, state, and country?
- Do you think the creed it true for youth of today? Why or why not?
- The 4-H Creed must be recited by one 4-H member individually. No team presentations will be accepted.
- There is no limit to the number of participants in each age division for each county. Participation in a county level 4-H Creed Contest is encouraged, but not required to enter this contest.
- 4-H members are still eligible to participate in the State 4-H Presentation Expo scheduled for April 2020. 4-H members are encouraged to use the feedback they receive in this stand-alone event to improve their presentation, and make a new recording for the State 4-H Presentation Expo. *NOTE: A new recording is not required; however, you will need to complete a ZSuite registration for the State 4-H Presentation Expo if you want to participate.
- Zsuite Event Registration opens January 18, 2021 and will close January 31, 2021.
- Registered participants will receive information on how to prepare their Flipgrid submission via email on February 1, 2021
- 4-H’ers should submit their entry in Flipgrid by February 14, 2021.
- Participants will be notified of their scores and feedback via the email address associated with their Flipgrid account no later than March 15, 2021.
Scoring and Awards
- Presentations will be scored using a 50 point rubric. A maximum of 10 points can be earned in each of the following categories: words correct, voice, manner and appearance, questions, and opening and closing (See rubric in registration documents for more detailed information).
- Qualified entries will receive a certificate for meriting in one of the following
categories in this state level contest:
- 45 points and above—GOLD
- 40-44 points—BLUE
- 30-39 points—RED
- 20-29 points—WHITE
- Below 20 points—GREEN
- One entry from each track (Track 1 and Track 2) will be selected by random drawing to receive $25 of Shop 4-H ( http://shop4-h.org/) merchandise of the winner’s choice.