State 4-H Creed Contest
What Is The Creed Contest?
The 4-H Creed Contest is designed to allow 4-H members to compete in a friendly, scripted competition while building public speaking confidence and skills.
Any current 4-H youth (age 8 as by 06/30/2022 up to 21 as of 9/30/2023) may enter regardless of his/her project enrollment.
- Junior: 4-H members age 8-10 by 06/30/2022.
- Intermediate: 4-H members age 11-13 by 06/30/2022.
- Senior: 4-H members age 14 by 06/30/2022 up to 21 as of 9/30/2023.
- Track 1: This track will be for those participants that feel confident in reciting the 4-H Creed from memory.
- Track 2: This track is for those participants that wish to have a copy of the 4-H Creed available to them during the recitation.
Will open on Sunday, April 2, 2023 at 7 a.m. and will close on Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 11:55 p.m.
Registration will be handled through the 4-H ZSuite Online System.
Greet virtual audience and state your name, age, and club.
State “I will be reciting The 4-H Creed, written by an anonymous author.” Then recite the creed.
The 4-H Creed
I believe in 4-H CLUB work for the opportunity it will give me to become a useful Citizen.
I believe in the training of my HEAD for the power it will give me to think, plan and to reason.
I believe in the training of my HEART for the nobleness it will give me to be kind, sympathetic and true.
I believe in the training of my HANDS for the ability it will give me to be helpful, skillful and useful.
I believe in the training of my HEALTH for the strength it will give me to enjoy life, to resist disease, and to work efficiently.
I believe in my country, my state and my community and in my responsibility for their development.
In all these things I believe and am willing to dedicate my efforts to their fulfillment.
After completing The 4-H Creed, say “Thank you” and respond to one of the questions listed below. Be sure to state the question in your response.
- How will 4-H club work help you to become a useful citizen?
- In what way does 4-H train you to think, plan, and reason?
- What is a Creed?
- Why did you compete in the 4-H Creed Contest?
- What is the 4-H Motto and what does it mean to you?
- What is your 4-H Club work?
- How have you and your club helped in the development of your community?
- Describe some of the ways that through your club projects, you have become helpful, useful, and skillful?
- How have you shown that you have taken responsibility for the development of your community, state, and country?
- Do you think the creed it true for youth of today? Why or why not?
- The 4-H Creed must be recited by one 4-H member individually. No team presentations will be accepted.
- There is no limit to the number of participants in each age division for each county. Participation in a county level 4-H Creed Contest is encouraged, but not required to enter this contest.
- 4-H members may be state (Gold Ribbon) winners once in each respective track and each age division.
- Event Registration will open on Sunday, April 2, 2023 and will close Sunday, April 30, 2023.
- Upon registration participants will receive information on how to prepare their Flipgrid submission.
- 4-H’ers should submit their entry in Flipgrid by Monday, May 8, 2023.
- Participants will be notified of their scores and feedback via the email address associated with their Flipgrid account no later than Friday, June 2, 2023.
SCORING & AWARDS
- Presentations will be scored using a 50 point rubric. A maximum of 10 points can be earned in each of the following categories: words correct, voice, manner and appearance, questions, and opening and closing (See rubric in registration documents for more detailed information).
- Qualified entries will receive a certificate for meriting in one of the following
categories in this state level contest:
- 45 points and above—GOLD
- 40-44 points—BLUE
- 30-39 points—RED
- 20-29 points—WHITE
- Below 20 points—GREEN