Canada Learning Adventures
About this Global Citizenship Event
State Contact: Denis Scott and Alex Coffman
WHO: 4-H members and volunteers: Ages 18-21 years old. Must be 18 by November 22, 2019. Learning objectives designed for young adult members and volunteers. Applicant selection based on interview committee recommendations and proper paperwork completion and approval.
WHEN: Saturday, November 23, 2019 – Wednesday, November 27, 2019
WHERE: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada and day trips to places such as
Toronto and Niagara-on-the-Lake. Tours may include: Journey Behind the Falls, Niagara's
Fury, Floral Showhouse, and the Butterfly Conservatory. Final itinerary dependent
on tour availability and weather conditions.
PURPOSE: Teach young adult volunteers and 4-H members:
- General overview of Canadian/U.S. border history, geography, tourism and economic ties.
- Appreciation of natural wonders and engagement in park and recreation areas.
- Ability to compare and contrast different cultures and communities.
- Understanding and appreciation of the connection between U.S. and Canadian heritages.
- Skills to better understand oneself as a current or future volunteer leader.
- Greater empathy for others to increase outreach and recruitment of new 4-H audiences.
COST: $650. The cost DOES NOT include:
- Passport fees
- Purchase of lunches and dinners
- Any extras that are purchased during travel
- Transportation to and from Morgantown, WV
PASSPORT INFORMATION: Participants will be responsible for securing their own passport prior to the departure of the trip. New passport fees can be $135 and higher with expediting costs. If you do not have a passport, apply for one as soon as you are selected. Contact your local post office to secure a passport, or go online to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html.
REGISTRATION: Due to limited availability and high demand, no registrations/wait list requests are being accepted.
A non-refundable deposit of $200 from selected applicants must be received by the WVU Extension Service State 4-H Office by Friday, September 27, 2019.
4-H Youth Development
PO Box 031
Morgantown, WV 26506-6031