This quick and easy vegetarian recipe for personal pizzas is a great way to get kids and teens involved in the kitchen. These are low carb, high protein snacks that everyone will love.
- 4 portabella mushrooms about 4-inches wide, washed, and stems removed
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce or 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese such as mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs such as oregano
- 1/2 cup sausage cooked and crumbled (optional)
- bell pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- Take a minute to read through the recipe before you start.
- Wash all fresh produce.
- Wash your hands at the beginning and throughout the cooking process.
- Children should ask for permission before using appliances and sharp knives.
- Preheat toaster oven or oven to 450° F
- Place mushrooms on top of tray, round side up. Place tray in oven on middle rack.
- Cook mushrooms for 15-minutes or until soft and giving off beads of liquid.
- Carefully remove tray from oven.
- Flip the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle each mushroom with remaining ingredients, in this order: optional sausage, sauce, cheese, optional peppers, and herbs.
- Cook mushrooms for 10-15 minutes more or until cheese is melted and bubbly.