Still delicious and gooey, these whole wheat cinnamon rolls are a great take on a traditional favorite.
2 teaspoons yeast
- ¾ cup warm milk (fat free or 2%)
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- Canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ¾ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Optional: raisins
- ½ cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons milk (fat-free or 2%)
- To prepare the dough, dissolve yeast in warm milk and warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Add butter, honey, salt, lemon juice and egg; mix well. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 cup all-purpose flour and all whole wheat flour, stirring until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). Place dough in a large bowl lightly coated with canola or vegetable oil, turning dough ball to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; roll into a rectangle on a floured surface. Coat surface lightly with oil using a brush.
- To prepare filling, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; sprinkle over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. If using raisins, sprinkle over dough, pressing gently into dough. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam to seal. Cut the dough into 8 rolls. Place the rolls, cut sides up, in a round or square cake pan lightly coated oil. They will not touch at first. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Uncover rolls. Bake at 375°F for 22 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool in pan on stove top or wire rack.
- To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Add 3 teaspoons of milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, stirring to form a thick glaze. You may have to add more sugar or milk to make it the preferred thickness. Drizzle glaze evenly over rolls.