Bean in a Bag
In this activity, students will germinate bean plants using simple materials that
can be found around the house.
- 2-4 bean seeds
- 1 Sandwich sized zipper bag
- Approximately 3 inches of Tape
- 1 Paper towel
- Access to a window
- Cut and fold a paper towel so that it will fit neatly into the sandwich bag.
- Remove the paper towel and run it under a water faucet.
- Wring out the water so that that the paper towel is wet but not dripping wet.
- Put the damp paper towel into the bag and smooth it out so that the towel is flat.
- Place 2-4 beans into the bag on one side of the paper towel about 3 cm (1 inch) from the bottom of the bag.
- Partially close the bag while leaving a small opening so that air can enter the growing plant.
- Find a window that gets some sunlight but isn’t scorched by direct sun rays all day.
- Tape the bag to the window with the beans facing indoors so that you can watch them as they grow.
- Observe the germination and growth of the bean plants.
- Add water as needed. Do not let the paper towel get dry.