Harrison County Dining with Diabetes
Dining with Diabetes
What is Dining with Diabetes?
- A program for people with diabetes and their family members to learn about ways to address the challenges and promote healthy living.
- A series of three classes featuring learning, demonstrations, and tasting of healthy foods.
Learn more by calling the Harrison County WVU Extension office at 304-624-8650.
This is a program for pre-diabetic Harrison County residents
Group Lifestyle Balance™ is a 10-month, 22 session evidence-based program in which participants work toward achieving two main goals:
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes weekly.
- Lose 5-7% of body weight.
This program features a lifestyle coach who works with participants to provide education and assistance in achieving these goals. Participants are monitored and regularly attend group sessions.
To be eligible to participate, a resident must:
- Be at least age 18
- Have a BMI >24 kg/m2
- No previous diagnosis of diabetes
- Be able to participate in at least 150 minutes physical activity per week
- Have pre-diabetes or be at high risk for pre-diabetes/diabetes
- Impaired Fasting Glucose (100-125 mg/dl) OR
- Impaired Glucose Tolerance (2-hour, 75g
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test 140-199 mg/dl) OR
- A1c 5.7% to 6.4%
- Commit to a change in your diet and physical activity habits
- Attend group sessions regularly
- Monitor your daily food intake and physical activity for the duration of the program
- Track and record information for the program
- Work toward achieving program goals
- Set goals for participants with lifestyle changes in diet and physical activity
- Provide education and tools that enable lifestyle changes
- Lead group sessions and answer questions
- Monitor weekly progress
- Provide encouragement and counseling to overcome obstacles
- Encourage participants to achieve their goals