For details or to sponsor the Community Leadership Academy, please contact:
Community Leadership Academy Director, Kelly Nix, Ph.D, or call Kelly at 304-293-8680.
About the Academy
The Community Leadership Academy (CLA) helps emerging and established leaders develop their leadership skills.
The academy provides community leaders with a solid foundation in public organizational and financial management. Topics emphasize enhancing personal leadership skills and providing an understanding of current, complex issues affecting communities.
The academy unites community leaders, elected officials, economic developers, Chambers of Commerce, business owners and civic-minded residents of West Virginia and nearby states.
The Community Leadership Academy was founded the by WVU Extension Service Community
Resources and Economic Development (CRED) unit, with the help of Extension
The Community Leadership Academy provides leadership development opportunities focused on the knowledge, collaboration, and connections that empower communities to lead West Virginia into the future.
To be West Virginia’s premiere community leadership development program.
CLA Shared Values
- Strategic Relationships
Igniting Investments for Our Future
Keynote Speaker: Devine Carama from
Believing in Our Future Inc.
April 11-13, 2018
Marriott Morgantown at Waterfront Place
Morgantown, West Virginia
- Help emerging and established leaders understand, use, and develop their community assets effectively.
- Support robust community engagement and further community growth.
- Provide local government officials and community leaders with a solid foundation in public organizational and financial management, grounded in current complex issues affecting communities.
- Good Governance: Learn new strategies in Emergency Management, Funding and Community Relations.
- Community Economic Strategy: Adopt strategies for successful community economic development.
- Leadership: Understand new leadership skills for successful planning, implementation and performance.
The conference will be most beneficial for community leaders in West Virginia and surrounding states. Members who regularly attend include:
- Community volunteer leaders
- City and County officials
- County commissioners
- Main Street program participants
- Chamber of Commerce Representatives
- Local business owners/managers
- City/Town councilmen
- City managers
- Municipal Planners
- Members of local boards and commissions (CVBs, planning commissions, Parks and Recreation commissions)
- Local EDA directors/members
- Extension professionals
- Historical organizations
- Community development organizations
Awards & RecognitionIn 2013, the academy introduced a new recognition and award system for all attendees.
CLA Champion Award
The Community Leadership Academy Champion award honors an individual each year who is doing an exemplary job, going above and beyond expectations, to promote and/or support the academy through their leadership, service, or other activities.
Anyone who has attended a Community Leadership Academy and is not involved in planning for the academy can seek the award. A nomination packet must include both information on what the person has done with respect to promoting and/or supporting CLA. It must show how knowledge learned at CLA have been put into use in a community setting. And it must include at least one letter of support from someone other than the award nominee.Nominate a Community Leader
Certificate of Attendance
An annual Certificate of Attendance is awarded to all attendees.
There is also a cumulative recognition of participation. There are five levels of recognition (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and titanium). Each requires the completion of 24 hours of instruction (24, 48, 72, 96, and 120 hours respectively). After completing 120 hours, a participant will be placed in an elite Mentee/Mentorship program where they will have opportunities to recruit, guide and mentor less experienced participants.
The program is open to all academy participants. Credit is given only for those sessions attended (verified by sign-in sheets).
If you would like to know how many hours you have earned so far or if you have any other questions regarding the cumulative recognition program, contact Michael Dougherty.
Get more information about the Community Leadership Academy:Sponsors & Partners
Pricing, Registration and Scholarships
Lodging and Location