Wirt County 4-H Volunteers
The Wirt County 4-H program owes it's success to the dedication of a large group of volunteers. In order to ensure our youth have a safe and educational experience, each volunteer is required to complete annual paperwork.
If you are unsure what you need to complete to update your volunteer documents for this year, please call the Wirt County Extension Office at 304-275-3101. Please complete all required documentation by May 1, 2019.
General Volunteer Information
Adult volunteers play an important role in our 4-H program. They coordinate local community clubs and help plan and conduct local, regional, state and national 4-H events. More than 500,000 teen and adult volunteers in the United States share their time and talents with 4-H youth. In West Virginia, volunteers support tens of thousands of 4-H'ers.
The Volunteer Process
The WVU Extension 4-H Youth Development Program’s process for selecting vetted adult volunteers consists of the following:
- a completed and signed application form for 4-H youth development program volunteers
- two reference checks (first time volunteers; sent by mail, email or used during phone or face-to-face interviews)
- interview with applicant (first time volunteers)
- yearly check of the National Sex Offender Website
- signed Code of Conduct
- Protecting Children Training (Rule 1.7) every three years
- Background check every three years processed through vendor selected by WVU Talent & Culture
- Title IX Training (Rule 1.6) every three years with yearly updates
- DMV check annually, if volunteers are required to drive to support programs
Information gathered during the process will be kept on file in the WVU Extension county office and used to:
- establish a system of recruitment and selection of qualified volunteers for 4-H youth development programs
- match volunteers to jobs needed
- provide basic accurate information, including correct name, email, telephonue number and address, for each volunteer
- identify areas for volunteer orientation and training
- provide information that might be used to assist the volunteer; e.g., letters of reference, recommendations for awards, and recognition
Volunteers – Required Documents
Selection Process - Full Document
- Online Volunteer Code of Conduct Guidelines and Procedures
- Volunteer Code of Conduct Agreement
- Event Volunteer Application
- Volunteer Reference Form (2pp) – fillable
- Volunteer File Checklist
- State 4-H Camp Application Checklist
- Check of the National Sexual Predator Website
- Questions and report for agent or volunteer recruiter to use with volunteer applicant are available
- Potential volunteers, an applicants’ legal name and email address are entered into the Extension Apps background check database. Applicant name and information will be checked by Kim Suder before submitting for a background check. If an issue exists with the person submitted, the WVU faculty or staff member submitting the individual for processing will be notified.