WVU Jefferson County Extension Service
At your service in our community.
- Apr15 All Day Virtual 4-H Livestock Skill-a-thon (Horses)
- Apr156:00 PM - 7:00 PMMarvelous Machines Engineering Design 4-H SPIN Club
- Apr156:00 PM - 9:00 PMTree Fruits: WV Master Gardener Training Series
- Apr156:30 PM - 7:30 PMLearn Today - Lead Tomorrow: Build Your Future in 4-H SPIN Club
- Apr156:30 PM - 7:30 PMThe Night at the Art Museum 4-H SPIN Club
- Apr195:00 PM - 6:00 PMCancelled - Hiking 4-H SPIN Club
Gardens To Go
If you are limited in your ability to garden due to space or experience, a Garden to Go is the perfect step into gardening. This program provides free container gardening supplies to Berkeley and Jefferson County residents.
Container gardens will include recycled, sanitized containers. Each container will already be filled with soil and one starter plant - lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, or green beans. If your family is selected you will receive 3-4 containers, as well as educational materials to help your garden succeed and recipes to help you enjoy your harvest.
Jefferson 4-H Report
Jefferson County Virtual 4-H Fair
Youth were given this platform to display their exhibits since we did
not have a county fair this year.
Camp Preparations are Under Way at Camp Frame
Tri-County Camp is almost here and preparations are under way to hold the best camp we can. Please come out to Camp Frame on June 2, 2018, from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m., to help clean up the camp grounds in preparation for the camping season. All and any help is welcome.
We look forward to having all the help we can get to make the best camp even better.
Part of the National Cooperative Extension System
All universities engage in research and teaching, but the nation’s more than 100 land-grant colleges and universities including WVU, have another critical mission: Extension. Extension means reaching out, and along with teaching and research land-grant institutions extend their resources, solving public needs with college or university resources through local programs. With more than 3,000 county offices in the USA, the National Cooperative Extension System is the local front door for many citizens to their state land-grant institutions.
Putting Knowledge to Work!
The West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural resources; 4-H and youth development; food and nutrition; health and wellness; financial planning; and home gardening. These research-based programs and services are available to all Jefferson County residents thanks to the tremendous support of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners, including the Board of Education and County Commission.
Jefferson County Highlights
- Packaged and distributed 10,000 educational kits to county youths during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Created and distributed 217 buttons to teachers as part of the Familiar Faces button campaign.
- Completed a $36,000 grant focusing on nutrient management plan recordkeeping in the Eastern Panhandle.
- Community Educational Outreach Service members logged 14,500 hours of community service at a value of $394,400.