Small Farm Conference
For over a decade, the WVU Extension Service Small Farm Conference has offered the most authentic and inclusive view of agricultural opportunities for West Virginia small farm families. Annually, the conference boasts a variety of useful topics, unique events and informative speakers across more than 110 sessions. Under the organization of the WVU Extension Service Small Farm Center, 550 conference goers enjoyed locally sourced meals in 2017.
15th Annual West Virginia Small Farm Conference
February 13-16, 2019
Charleston Civic Center
Charleston, West Virginia
Goals for Conference
- Unlock the potential of West Virginia small farms to produce food profitably.
- Help small farms transition from commodity production to food production for community and local consumption.
- Support West Virginia’s 22,000 small farm families by:
- Providing reliable, tested knowledge about current trends, needed skills, and latest production and operation information
- Building an understanding of how to develop a successful small farming enterprise.
- Support and further develop West Virginia’s food system and local communities by encouraging local production, processing, wholesale and retail marketing, and consumption.
Areas of Interest
Over 110 different classes regarding topics such as: Animal Production, Farm
Management, Marketing, Beginning and Advanced Horticulture, Local Food Community,
Value Adding and Wholesale Markets, Farm-to-School, Agritourism, Risk Management
and Farmers Markets.
Registration and cost information will be available soon. Stay tuned!
There are a few scholarships available for the conference, which are made possible by our sponsors. These scholarships cover registration costs and are available for beginning farmers that are first time conference attendees. Please email Lisa Jones or call 304-293-2715 for more details.
To help make the conference more affordable, we help attendees network
through carpooling. Check back to add yourself to the carpool list!
Interested in participating in the Trade Show?
11th Annual Winter Blues Farmers Market
Farmers’ market fans will again have the opportunity for a wintertime fix! The Winter
Blues Farmers Market will be held Saturday, February 16, 2019, from 1-5 p.m.
Farmers from all over the state will be gathered to sell their winter-hardy food,
goods and products. This FREE event is open to the public. If you are interested
in being a vendor at this event, please call
304-293-2715 and complete the application.
Part two of this Farmers Market includes a Local Dine Around. Local chefs will cook up pay-as-you-go dishes featuring locally-grown and prepared entrees. The chefs will be set up among the many farmer vendors so the customers can eat and shop, or find one of the many tables nearby to just relax while eating a wonderful locally prepared meal.
For information contact: Tom McConnell, Program Leader, at 304-293-2642 or Lisa Jones, Program Coordinator at 304-293-2715 or email Lisa.