West Virginia Afterschool Program Standards
The West Virginia Afterschool Program Standards were designed to assist afterschool and out-of-school time programs in adopting high quality practices and fostering continuous improvement. The standards create a common language for defining and designing quality youth programming.
The afterschool standards align with the West Virginia Out-of-School Time Program Requirements and the West Virginia Child Care Center Licensing Rules and are applicable to programs serving multi-age group of school-age children in a wide variety of settings.
The West Virginia Afterschool Program Standards are offered as voluntary guidance on effective practice that may serve as:
- A framework of clear expectations for all stakeholders.
- A guide to inform statewide decision-making, for example, professional development
focus areas, funding support and advocacy.
- A guide for program providers to assess their own program site and organizations
to help determine what they are doing well and what needs improvement.
- A guide for parents and youth to identify quality programming
- A guide for school principals and district superintendents to reinforce and advance