The public is encouraged to picture themselves in 4-H this year at the State Fair of West Virginia. The stage has been set for kids of all ages to step into a 4-H club meeting or head off to 4-H camp at the 4-H exhibit in the Cecil Underwood Youth building. Thank you to Gold Ribbon poster winner, Hannah Beckner from Gilmer County for inspiring the exhibit theme this year.
Cornbread muffins, collections of leaves, creative 4-H clover displays, and handmade
clothing garments and toolboxes line the display stands in the Cecil Underwood
Youth Building at the as evidence of 4-H members’ hard work throughout the past
year. People attending the State Fair of West Virginia can view these blue-ribbon
4-H project exhibits from August 11 through 20, 2022. Additionally, there are
hundreds of exhibits online in the
virtual state 4-H exhibit
For 4-H projects to earn a spot at the State Fair, the youth had to earn a blue ribbon at the county level. All exhibits earn a blue ribbon from the State Fair, but a few exhibits are pulled as Best of Show. This year’s Best of Show winners are:
- Alex Adams, Pendleton County, Astronomy Year 1
- Zander Adams, Pendleton County, Gardening Year 5
- Easton Boner, Pendleton County, This is 4-H
- Emma Daley, Wood County, Self-Determined
- Kierstyn Hart, Mason County, Woodworking Year 4
- Abigail Haverty, Putnam County, Exploring 4-H, Your Family, The World, or Arts Year 1
- Grace Martin, Grant County, Entomology Year 2
- Paige Powers, Lewis County, Woodworking Year 2
- Josie Parsley, Wayne County, Sewing Year 1
- Luke Thomas, Mason County, Know Your State Year 1
In addition to the 4-H project work, the State Fair 4-H exhibit includes other state-level 4-H competitions – poster contest, photo exhibition, writing exhibition, and presentation contest. In total, the 2022 State Fair 4-H exhibit boasts 2,837 entries from 51 of West Virginia's 55 counties.
To learn more about the 4-H program in your county, visit
or contact your local office of the WVU Extension Service. The new 4-H year begins
on October 1, 2022.