WVU Wood County Extension Service
At your service in our community.
Energy Express is an 8-week AmeriCorps summer reading program promoting the school success of West Virginia children living in rural and low-income communities. Currently, Energy Express is recruiting 510 AmeriCorps members to serve as mentors and community coordinators for the summer of 2018 in approximately 80 sites throughout West Virginia. Wood County has four Energy Express sites and seeks 23 AmeriCorps members to serve at McKinley, Martin, Mineral Wells, and Neale Elementary Schools. AmeriCorps members serving as either mentors or community coordinators must be available to continuously serve from June 8th through July 27, 2018 and be at least 18 years of age by June 8, 2018. Mentors must also be a college-bound high school senior, a current college student, or a recent college graduate with no full-time employment.
make learning fun for small groups of
school-age children by creating a safe, enriching environment focused on
reading, writing, art and drama. Community coordinators connect parents and community members
to the Energy Express site by recruiting, training and supervising community
and teen volunteers who help with various site activities. In return for their 300 hours of service,
Energy Express AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance of $1,850 and an
educational award of $1,252.91 valid for up to seven
years to pay for college tuition or loans. The selection process will begin
March 1, 2018. Applications are accepted until all positions are filled.
Woodcuts 4-H Newsletter
Due to the extended school year, Wood County 4-H Camp dates have been adjusted to ensure that all camps are able to remain the same length as originally planned. Keep in mind that any further dates missed will result in changes to camp dates and possibly the length of each camp. Please direct any questions to the WVU Extension Service Wood County Office at 304-424-1960 or email Jodi Smith.
Horse Camp – June 10-15
Browse Woodcuts, the Wood County 4-H Newsletter
- Mar23 All Day 4-H Teen Leader Weekend (TLW)
- Mar267:00 PM - 9:00 PMWood County 4-H Camp Trustee Meeting
- Mar276:00 PM - 8:00 PMWood County All Camps Planning
- Apr2 All Day West Virginia Annie's Project - Online
- Apr35:30 PM - 6:30 PMWood County 4-H Leaders' Association Executive Committee
- Apr37:00 PM - 9:00 PMWood County 4-H Leaders' Meeting
- Apr41:30 PM - 2:30 PMStart a Walking Meeting Culture - Free Webinar
- Apr55:30 PM - 9:00 PMWest Virginia Annie's Project - Mid-Ohio Valley
- Apr55:30 PM - 6:30 PMWood County Projects and Pizza!