Plant Diagnostic Clinic
About the Plant Diagnostic Clinic
The WVU Plant Diagnostic Clinic diagnoses all kinds of plant problems for homeowners, gardeners, landscapers, growers and farmers. In consultation with expert faculty, we recommend ways to treat or prevent the problems we diagnose.
How to submit your plant sample
Before you submit a sample, consider contacting your local Extension office to get help from your WVU Extension Agent or an Extension Master Gardener. An expert can diagnose many common plant disease and insect problems. If necessary, the agent or gardener can help you properly collect a submit a sample to the WVU Plant Diagnostic Clinic. After the diagnosis, they can recommend control methods that are suitable to your location and situation.
How to collect your plant sample
- Collect the whole diseased plants, plus healthy plant, if possible, include the roots. If a plant showing a systemic decline, the problem is likely originated from the root and root sample is a must. Collect more than one plant if they show various stages of decline.
- Do not collect sample from a plant that has been dead for a while, dying or declining plants or plants parts make a good sample.
- For plant identification, collect the whole plant, if possible, including flowers and fruit.
How to ship your plant sample
- Do not allow specimens to dry out or get too hot. Send specimens as soon as possible after collecting by placing in a plastic bag (sealed or zip-locked) and shipped immediately in a mailing tube or strong carton. Do not add moist paper or toweling in the plastic bag.
- Refrigerate any specimens that cannot be shipped immediately.
- Enclose the completed sample form and place them in a plastic bag to protect them from moisture and soil.
- To ensure timely delivery, send samples early in the week.
Where to mail your plant sample
WVU Plant Diagnostic Clinic
G102 South Agricultural Sciences Building
P.O. Box 6108
Morgantown, WV 26506
Who to contact for help at the Plant Diagnostic Clinic
Complete the WVU Plant Disease Diagnostic Clinic Form and then print a copy to mail to the address on the form, and keep a copy for yourself.
Note: Google Chrome and Internet Explorer work best when viewing the clinic form. Firefox works, but you may need to select a viewer, if prompted.