Time: 20 minutes; Makes 4 servings
Turmeric ginger lemonade with fresh mint is great for fighting fatigue and reducing inflammation in the body. It’s quick to make, naturally sweetened and super refreshing!
- 4 to 5 cups water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- Optional pinch of black pepper to activate curcumin in turmeric
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract or lemon powder, such as True Lemon (optional)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup or raw honey (adjust to desired sweetness)
- Optional Stevia to sweeten more, if desired
- Lemon slices
- Fresh mint leaves
Directions: Bring water to a light boil on the stove. Add your spices and let it boil again for one minute, then reduce and simmer turmeric for 10 minutes. Remove from the stove and let it cool. Strain the liquid to get rid of excess ginger root or spice powder using a mesh strainer or cloth. Pour the rest of the liquid into a pitcher along with your lemon juice, extract and sweetener of choice. Mix again so that the maple syrup and lemon juice are combined with the turmeric ginger brew. Garnish with lemon slices, fresh mint and store in fridge. Add ice, if desired (ice will dilute the flavor).
Note: Simmering will extract the beneficial compounds from the turmeric and ginger.
Nutrition Information per serving: 4 calories; 9 g sugar; 1.8 mg sodium; 0.1 g fat; 0 g saturated fat; 10.3 g carbohydrates; 0.2 g fiber; 0.2 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol
Adapted from Whole Journey https://www.thewholejourney.com/recipes/turmeric-and-ginger-tea