a day to cook and stocking your freezer with meals can take some planning, but it
is well worth the time. This pot roast recipe makes a great addition to your premade freezer meal collection.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 3-pound pot roast
- 2 onions, quartered
- 12 to 15 baby carrots
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy-duty pot, heat oil on medium-high until very hot.
- Using paper towels, dry off both sides of the roast, then salt and pepper both sides to taste.
- Place roast in the pot and leave undisturbed for 4 to 5 minutes, then flip over and repeat for other side.
- Remove roast and put into a large bowl.
- Add onions and carrots, stir for one minute then cover for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add 1/2 cup broth. Gently stir and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any remaining fond. Pour over roast and allow to cool.
- Once cool to the touch (approximately 20-30 minutes), place roast, vegetables, all juices and remaining broth in a freezer bag. Place in freezer.
- Two to three nights before cooking, remove from freezer and place in a bowl in refrigerator to thaw.
- Place thawed roast in slow cooker with vegetables and broth. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.