This freezer stroganoff recipe makes eating healthy meals easy for the busy family.
Servings: 2 meals, 4 servings each
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12-ounce bag of pearl onions, thawed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup low sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pounds of ground lean beef (90% or higher)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste (or 2 tablespoons regular strength)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Per bag for reheating:
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 16 ounces of cooked egg noodles (follow cooking instructions on package)
- Heat a heavy-duty skillet (with lid) on medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the onions, 1 tablespoon parsley and 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning. Occasionally roll them in the pan until they are nicely browned, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add one cup of broth, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until almost all the broth is absorbed into the onions. Remove to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender. If you want the mushrooms browned, cook them in two batches so that the pan is not crowded. Add mushrooms to the bowl with the onions.
- Add 2 pounds of lean ground beef to the skillet, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring often to crumble the meat. Cook until fully browned and cooked through. Add meat to the bowl.
- Stir all contents of the bowl until mixed well. Once cool to the touch (approximately 20 to 30 minutes), divide between two freezer bags. Place in freezer.
- One to three nights before cooking, remove one bag from freezer and place in a bowl in the refrigerator to thaw.
- Place thawed stroganoff in skillet with a lid. Add 2 tablespoons of water and heat over low heat, stirring often.
- Once stroganoff is hot (approximately 15 minutes), add sour cream and yogurt. Stir to combine and serve over egg noodles.
Nutrition information per serving: 420 calories; 20 g fat; 27 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 790 mg sodium