With busy work schedules, family responsibilities and hectic schedules, it can be hard to pull together a healthy meal every evening. Try this freezer recipe to make cooking dinner easy, while still being healthy.
- 2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 frozen Cornish hens
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Combine all ingredients except salt, pepper and hens in a bowl. Mix well with a whisk.
- Carefully pour mixture into a freezer bag and place in freezer.
- 4 to 5 nights before cooking, remove Cornish hens and your premade mixture from the freezer and place in a bowl in refrigerator to thaw. Make sure hens are completely thawed before cooking.
- Place thawed hens in a slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the hens.
- Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low (or 4 to 6 hours on high).
- Remove hens from the slow cooker and place in a pan.
- Place pan in a 400-degree preheated oven for a few minutes to allow the skin to brown.
- Serve ½ hen per person with cooking broth drizzled over rice.
Nutrition information per serving: 500 calories; 30 g fat; 28 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 310 mg sodium