It can be hard to find time to cook elaborate dinners every night. This freezer chili recipe can help to cut down on time and still be healthy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 12 mini carrots, diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 jalapenos diced (including seeds and white pith will make chili hot, removing seeds and white pith will make chili very mild)
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 1 cup low-sodium broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
- In a large pot over medium, heat the olive oil. Add onions, carrots and bell peppers, heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef to pot, stirring often to crumble beef. Cook until beef is well browned. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add jalapenos, diced tomatoes, undrained kidney beans and broth. Stir well to combine and remove from heat. Place chili in a bowl to cool.
- Once cool, ladle into freezer bags and place in freezer.
- One to three nights before cooking, remove from freezer and place in a bowl in the refrigerator to thaw. In a slow cooker, cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or 4 to 6 hours on high.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, diced raw onions, hot sauce and/or sour cream as garnishes.
Nutrition information per serving: 220 calories; 8 g fat; 18 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 6 g fiber; 420 mg sodium