Skip to main content

Avoiding CO Poisoning

Don't Fall Prey to the Silent Killer

Carbon Monoxide Facts Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that is difficult to detect because it is odorless and invisible. As a result, it is often referred to as “the silent killer.” According to the U.S. Consumer Safety Commission (CPSC), this poisonous gas kills nearly 300 people each year.

CO is produced by fuel-burning appliances and equipment in our homes. If you have any thing using fuels such as oil, natural gas, coal, wood, propane, and gasoline etc. then your home is at risk for potential CO poisoning.

Manage Your Risk!

  • Purchase and install at least one CO alarm in your home, near the sleeping area.
  • Use appliances and equipment according to the manufacturer. For example, never heat with a cooking stove.
  • Never use a gas grill indoors or in the garage.
  • Electric generators must never be used inside or in enclosed spaces.
  • Back vehicles out of the garage when warming them up.
  • Have a trained professional inspect, clean and tune-up your oil or gas fired heating system and water heater.
  • Have a professional sweep inspect and clean your chimney at least once a year.
  • Kerosene and gas heaters should always be used according to the manufacturer and with ventilation.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

Symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to symptoms of the flu and can include headache, dizziness, nausea and shortness of breath. If you feel better after leaving your home and worse when you return, it may be CO poisoning.

What if you suspect CO poisoning?

  • Get the family outside quickly.
  • Call 911