- Jul22 All Day Women in Agriculture Conference - Early Bird Registration
- Sep268:00 AM - 5:00 PMExtension Service Annual Meeting
- Oct1 All Day Women in Agriculture Conference - Standard Registration
- Oct18:30 AM - 5:00 PMFSMA/GAPs Produce Safety Grower Training - Bridgeport, WV
- Oct298:30 AM - 5:00 PMWriting Your Farm Food Safety - Bridgeport, WV
- Nov98:30 AM - 5:00 PMFSMA/GAPs Produce Safety Grower Training - Institute, WV
In preparation for the 2018 Roane County 4-H & FFA Youth Livestock Show and Sale, volunteers assisted with tagging animals for 151 4-H and FFA youth exhibitors. At the end of Monday, August 13, we had 45 market hogs, 45 feeder calves, 31 market lambs, and 36 market goats.
Putting Knowledge to Work!
The West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural resources; 4-H and youth development; food and nutrition; health and wellness; financial planning; and home gardening. These research-based programs and services are available to all Roane County residents thanks to the tremendous support of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners, including the Board of Education and County Commission.
Roane County Highlights
- Roane County WVU Extension Service staff distributed a bi-monthly newsletter to keep the local stakeholders up to date on programming efforts and impacts, with a distribution of 825 electronic copies and 231 copies mailed to youths and adults throughout Roane County. There were 533 documented (signed in) visitors to the Roane County Extension office in 2018.
- 585 youths engaged in hands-on STEM activities involving robotics, rocketry, engineering, animal science and other STEM fields through programming implemented by AmeriCorps Summer Associate VISTAs. These youths increased in STEM content-related knowledge and gained an awareness of career possibilities in STEM fields.
- 140 Roane County 4-H members attended the 2018 Roane County 4-H Camp, and 24 Cloverbud 4-H’ers, ages 5 to 8, attended Cloverbud Day Camp.
- 152 Roane County third grade students increased their knowledge of a variety of agriculture-science fields through participation in the annual Roane County Agriculture Field Day. Roane County WVU Extension Service agents, 39 FFA members and 17 adult volunteers planned and implemented educational activities for the day.
- 359 youths and 131 adults increased their knowledge of livestock selection and care and other agriculture-science topics through participation in a series of five youth livestock workshops held in 2018. 132 youths participated in the 2018 Roane County 4-H and FFA Youth Livestock Program animal placement contest; 135 youths participated in the showmanship contest; and 130 youths sold a livestock project animal during the 2018 Roane County 4-H and FFA Youth Livestock Sale, generating $217,213 in sales.
- 341 Walton Elementary Middle School students and 191 Geary Elementary Middle School students participated in a Kids’ Mobile Market and food nutrition activities sponsored by Mountaineer Food Bank and WVU Extension Service.