Programs & Training
When seconds count — training matters. The West Virginia University Fire Service Extension is a leader in providing critical, high-quality training to the state’s emergency responders.
Aircraft Rescue Firefighting
The aircraft rescue firefighting program is an intense, hands-on class that will require participants to participate in simulated, realistic live-fire exercises. This training is presented to municipal airport fire fighters and other interested fire departments in compliance with FAA Part 139. It’s available nationwide, including for disaster drills and tactical law enforcement training.
- Simulated wheel, engine and cabin fires.
- Simulated large pit fire that measures 1350 square feet.
- Simulated shut down procedures in cockpit of the aircraft.
- Operation of throttle and fire bottles and battery maneuvers.
This facility is designed to meet a wide range of training needs for the U.S. Department of Defense, federal, state and local organizations. The tunnel is ideal for emergency response training and provides a realistic environment where teams can practice techniques designed to mitigate the effects of an incident in an underground highway, train or subway tunnel. Additionally, the tunnel provides an excellent base for training on hazardous materials response, simulated agent testing, illicit chemical, biological or drug laboratory entry and containment, EOD operations, underground search and rescue, counter terrorist tactics and hostage rescue.
- Ten unique training locations that provide a variety of scenarios, everything from hazardous materials spills to extraction exercises.
- 79,000 square feet, two-lane, 2,800-foot-long tunnel plus 10,000 acres outside the tunnel for training.
- Lodging and accommodations available.
Industrial Fire Brigade Training
When business or industry is faced with fires, accidents, and other facility related emergencies, training programs offered by the WVU Fire Service Extension are designed to address these specific industry needs ensure responders are prepared.
- National certification courses include NFPA 1081, Standard for Industrial Fire Brigade, Professional Qualifications and NFPA 1006, Standard for Technical Rescuer Professional Qualifications
- Customized courses can be designed to meet your training needs, including incipient stage firefighting, interior and exterior firefighting, hazardous materials mitigation, confined space rescue, rope rescue, incident command system and incident safety officer training.
Mobile Fire Training Unit
This training unit challenges firefighters with smoke, flames, sights, sounds and obstacles common in commercial and residential structure fires.
- Two stories and 53 feet long.
- Controlled from an observation room by a lead instructor who can shut down the operations and ventilate the unit’s interior within 45 to 60 seconds.
- Fueled by clean-burning propane that generates benign smoke that does not disturb the community.
ProBoard recognized certification means that the individual knows that he or she meets rigorous national standards and affords them uniformity and portability of qualifications. The certifications we offer are:
- Firefighter (1001) — Firefighter 1, 2
- Driver/Operator (1002) — Pumper, Aerial
- Rescue Technician (1006) — Rope, Surface Water, Vehicle and Machinery and Confined Space
- Fire Officer (1021) — Fire Officer 1, 2
- Fire Investigator (1033) — Fire Investigator
- Fire Instructor (1041) — Fire Instructor 1, 2, 3
- Industrial Fire Brigade Member (1081) — Incipient, Advanced Exterior, Interior Structural and Fire Brigade Leader
- Hazardous Materials (472) — Responder Awareness and Operational, Technician and Incident Commander
If interested in any of our programs and services, please contact us at 304-269-0875 or 1-866-WVU-FIRE (3473).