Junior Firefighter Camp
What Is Junior Firefighter Camp?
The Junior Firefighter Camp provides classroom and practical training to further participants’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in firefighting and emergency operations for certification in NFPA 1001, Standard on Firefighter Professional Qualifications.
Youth aged 14 by June 17, 2023 - age 17 by June 22, 2023.
Saturday, June 17, 2023 - Thursday, June 22, 2023
State Fire Academy - WVU Jackson's Mill
$375 (Scholarships Available)
Scholarships are typically offered to a select few who qualify. Please contact the WVU Fire Service Extension at 304-269-0875, or email for more details.
Opened on February 21, 2023 and will close on June 4, 2023 at 11:55 p.m.
Registration will be handled through the 4-H ZSuite Online System.
External Registration (No ZSuite Account)
- Allow youth to gain insight and interest in becoming long term members of emergency services.
- Increase awareness among youth about volunteering and supporting the fire and emergency services.
- Provide departments with additional help in accomplishing non-firefighting or non-emergency tasks.
- Develop leadership for America’s youth, who are tomorrow’s leaders.
- Educate parents and mentors on the importance of encouraging volunteerism.
Campers develop leadership skills and receive encouragement from their parents, peers, and professionals to become engaged members of their communities.
Campers acquire insight and interest in becoming long-term members of the emergency services field.
Campers gain an increased awareness for volunteering and/or a career in the fire/emergency services.
Campers become trained junior firefighters who can aid departments in accomplishing non-emergency tasks.
Campers make new friends and create peer groups with people from various states, interest areas, and backgrounds.
Campers enjoy leisure activities like sports and swimming.
Topics To Be Covered
- CPR and First Aid
- Hoseline Operations
- Fireground Operations
- Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Ground and Aerial Ladders
- Leadership and Team-Building
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Vehicle Fires
- Vehicle Extrication
- Special Operations
- Fire Apparatus
- Forcible Entry
- Live Fire Training
- Urban/Rural Water Supply
- Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting
- NFPA 1971 Compliant Turnout Gear (consist of a helmet, hood, coat, pants, gloves, boots)
- NFPA 1981 Compliant SCBA with facepiece
Returning campers will be placed in the Advanced Training Group and learn skills relative to his/her experience.
- WVU Extension Service
- West Virginia University
- West Virginia State Firemen’s Association
- West Virginia State Fire Chief’s Association
- West Virginia State Fire Commission
Please mail check payments to the following address:
WVU Fire Service Extension
Junior Fire Fighter Camp
2600 Old Mill Rd
Weston, WV 26452
For any questions or concerns, please contact the WVU Fire Service Extension at 304-269-0875, or email Brian Grieco.