Junior Firefighter Camp
Make plans to join us for the 2020 camp!
June (TBA) 2020
State Fire Academy
WVU Jackson’s Mill
State 4-H Camp
The Junior Firefighter Camp provides classroom and practical training to further participants’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in firefighting and emergency operations for certification in NFPA 1001, Standard on Firefighter Professional Qualifications.
Registration Deadline: Priority registration ends May 25, 2020
Ages: 14 – 17
Goals of this camp include:
- Allowing youth to gain insight and interest in becoming long term members of emergency services.
- Increasing awareness among youth about volunteering and supporting the fire and emergency services.
- Providing departments with additional help in accomplishing non-firefighting or non-emergency tasks.
- Developing leadership for America’s youth, who are tomorrow’s leaders.
- Educating parents and mentors on the importance of encouraging volunteerism.
Some instructional topics to be covered include:
- CPR and First Aid
- Hoseline Operations
- Fireground Operations
- Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Ground and Aerial Ladders
- Leadership and Team-Building
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Vehicle Fires
- Vehicle Extrication
- Special Operations
- Fire Apparatus
- Forcible Entry
- Live Fire Training
- Urban/Rural Water Supply
- Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting
- NFPA 1971 Compliant Turnout Gear (consist of a helmet, hood, coat, pants, gloves, boots);
- NFPA 1981 Compliant SCBA with facepiece;
- Cotton clothing including pants, shorts and t-shirts.
Returning campers will be placed in the Advanced Training Group and learn skills relative to his/her experience.
Junior Firefighter Camp Documents:
Junior Firefighter REGISTRATION - register offline and pay online (or by
Junior Firefighter HEALTH FORM - please ensure both pages of the health form
Junior Firefighter MEDIA RELEASE
Junior Firefighter TRANSPORTATION RELEASE
Junior Firefighter RULES
Mail all camp forms and, if paying by check, payment to:
WVU Fire Service Extension
Junior Fire Fighter Camp
2600 Old Mill Rd
Weston, WV 26452
Question: What time is camp check-in and registration?
Answer: 1 p.m. (13:00)
LEADERSHIPCampers develop leadership skills and receive encouragement from their parents, peers, and professionals to become engaged members of their communities.
TRAININGCampers acquire insight and interest in becoming long-term members of the emergency services field.
COMMITMENTCampers gain an increased awareness for volunteering and/or a career in the fire/emergency services.
SUPPORTCampers become trained junior firefighters who can aid departments in accomplishing non-emergency tasks.
FUNCampers enjoy leisure activities like sports and swimming.
Junior Firefighter Camp Sponsors
- WVU Extension Service
- West Virginia University
- West Virginia State Firemen’s Association
- West Virginia State Fire Chief’s Association
- West Virginia State Fire Commission