WVU Brooke County Extension Service
At your service in our community.Sign up to receive email updates!
- Mar96:30 PM - 8:30 PMWinter Educational Dinner Meeting: Water Quality vs. Irrigation
- Mar27 All Day Teen Leader Weekend
- Apr17 All Day West Virginia Extension Master Gardener Association Annual Conference
- Jun27 All Day WVU National Junior Firefighter Camp 2020
Contact the Brooke County Office for current news and to learn about upcoming opportunities in our local area. Ask us for more information about topics including:
Part of the National Cooperative Extension System
All universities engage in research and teaching, but the nation’s more than 100 land-grant colleges and universities including WVU, have another critical mission: Extension. Extension means reaching out, and along with teaching and research land-grant institutions extend their resources, solving public needs with college or university resources through local programs. With more than 3,000 county offices in the USA, the National Cooperative Extension System is the local front door for many citizens to their state land-grant institutions.
Putting Knowledge to Work!
West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural resources, 4-H and youth development, food and nutrition, health and wellness, financial planning and home gardening. These research-based programs and services are available to all Brooke County residents thanks to the tremendous support of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners, including the Board of Education and County Commission.
- The WVU Brooke County Extension Service office has coordinated a West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio collaborative for regional tourism with a 160-member database from three states and 11 counties.
- The WVU Brooke County Extension Service office has secured an AmeriCorps Vista for a year with a local match grant to fully fund the position. The Vista will coordinate community engagement and economic and community development activities and events in Brooke County.
- Brooke County 4-H camp was at max capacity in 2018, with a waiting list for campers.
- WVU Brooke County Extension Service partnered with Brooke Middle School to teach the LifeSkill Evidence Based Curriculum to every seventh grader in Brooke County Schools.
- WVU Brooke County Extension Service and Brooke Middle School offered the evidence-based Strengthening Families Program to Brooke Middle School seventh graders and their families, with families completing the program.
- A new 4-H club started at Brooke Middle School during school time, with more than 30 members and school-wide projects in development for 2019.
- WVU Brooke County Extension Service partners with Advocates for Substance Abuse Prevention to support a grant bringing in $625,000 over five years for Brooke and Hancock counties.
- Provided technical assistance and helped in preparing a $200,000 grant for the northern panhandle soil conservation program for a new position to provide technical support to area farmers. The grant was awarded and position is filled.