What is Annie’s Project?
Annie’s Project is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing educational programs designed to strengthen women’s roles in the modern farm enterprise. Working with partners across the United States, Annie’s Project helps female farmers build viable and sustainable farm businesses by:
- Providing tailored training, taught by local experts, and resources to meet the needs of women in your region
- Offering small class sizes focusing on topics such as risk management, budgeting, business planning, marketing, farm and food safety and more
- Encouraging networking opportunities
WVU Extension is pleased to partner with Annie’s Project to provide West Virginia’s female farmers with the training, skills and support to build a successful agricultural business. For more information, contact Dee Singh-Knights.
Current Annie's Project Classes
WVU Extension is offering female farmers and agribusiness owners an opportunity to learn more about holistic business planning and risk management in a virtual, flexible format. Though the course is a self-paced, independent study, one online module will be released each month, November through April, encouraging participants to focus on one topic at a time. Participants also will be assigned a WVU Extension agent to serve as their regional advisor to answer questions and provide support.
The online course is accompanied by monthly virtual meetups, which include additional learning opportunities, such as farm tours and Q&A sessions with industry experts, as well as a chance to interact and share best practices with your peers. Each virtual meetup will coordinate with the most recent module topic, offering participants a chance to dive deeper into each subject.
Annie's Project Class Agenda
Topics covered during the six training sessions include:
- Session 1: Risk assessment, budgets, and record keeping
- Session 2: Financial statements and interpreting financial data
- Session 3: Creating business plans and making realistic marketing and financial plans
- Session 4: Farm and food safety and determining your insurance needs
- Session 5: Networking and partnering with fellow farmers
- Session 6: Participant-selected topics and graduation
Register for Annie's Project Classes
Registration costs $30. Class materials included. Refreshments provided at offline class sites. Mail your registration and fee to the address associated with the class you select. Make checks payable to: West Virginia University.