Are you ready to become a 4-H Healthy Living Teen Ambassador? Learn more about this
exciting opportunity! Trainings are coming to your area!
- February 2-3, 2019 – Wood County
- February 8-9, 2019 – Mercer County
- March 9-10, 2019 – Cabell County
West Virginia 4-H is a recipient of the Walmart Foundation Healthy Habits grant and the National 4-H Council’s Health Rocks!®. The Healthy Habits grant requires states to have 4-H Healthy Living Teen Ambassadors who assist in the facilitation of the nutrition, gardening and physical fitness activities in a variety of counties and state programs. The Health Rocks!® grant requires facilitation of the new pilot Health Rocks!® curriculum that includes tobacco, alcohol and substance misuse prevention. 4-H Healthy Living Teen Ambassadors can be current 4-H members or teens new to 4-H ages 13-18 for Health Rocks!® and grades 8-12 for Healthy Habits. If you are wondering how to get involved or become a 4-H Healthy Living Teen Ambassador, this article can help provide you with additional information.
A 4-H Healthy Living Teen Ambassador is a motivated individual who seeks to become a leader, mentor, and teacher, aspiring children and others in their community to become healthier. They are determined and ready to take on the challenge of developing and educating youth and others. They will work closely with other teen ambassadors and their county program coordinator to develop healthy living workshops and programs. Ambassadors will also take pictures and videos to post on social media to capture their counties’ nutrition and fitness programs.
What can you gain from being a 4-H Healthy Living Teen Ambassador?
- Being a Healthy Living Teen Ambassador allows you to gain public speaking and leadership skills.
- Teen Ambassadors get the opportunity to lead and inspire others about being healthy through leading an activity or workshop programming for 4-H healthy living in your community or school.
- Experience in a career field such as health-related and teaching while developing a readiness for the future.
- Local and statewide substance misuse prevention, nutrition and physical fitness curriculum training.
- AND BEST OF ALL – you can earn scholarship dollars to attend 4-H camps at local, state and national opportunities.
Job description/role for a 4-H Healthy Living Teen Ambassador
- Facilitate sessions, workshops and activities utilizing the 4-H curriculum.
- Work with 4-H program coordinators and other Teen Ambassadors on healthy programing.
- Document/record progress in programs.
- Attend the West Virginia Healthy Living Teen Ambassador Training.
- Most importantly, have fun while learning about health.
A 4-H Healthy Living Teen Ambassador’s goal should be to help educate youth and to gain as much understanding about being a leader, mentor and role model for youth, while also learning about overall health and well-being. Teen Ambassadors help youth rethink their health choices and get them excited about enjoying a healthy lifestyle.