- Jul22 All Day Women in Agriculture Conference - Early Bird Registration
- Sep268:00 AM - 5:00 PMExtension Service Annual Meeting
- Oct1 All Day Women in Agriculture Conference - Standard Registration
- Oct18:30 AM - 5:00 PMFSMA/GAPs Produce Safety Grower Training - Bridgeport, WV
- Oct298:30 AM - 5:00 PMWriting Your Farm Food Safety - Bridgeport, WV
- Nov98:30 AM - 5:00 PMFSMA/GAPs Produce Safety Grower Training - Institute, WV
Contact the Pocahontas County Office for current news and to learn about upcoming opportunities in our local area. Ask us for more information about topics including:
Putting Knowledge to Work!
The West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural resources; 4-H and youth development; food and nutrition; health and wellness; financial planning; and home gardening. These research-based programs and services are available to all Pocahontas residents thanks to the tremendous support of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners, including the Board of Education and County Commission.
Pocahontas County Highlights
- Pocahontas County has a small cooperative livestock market started in the 1940s with the help of WVU Extension Service. In 2018 the market served more than 200 customers and marketed more than $1.12 million in livestock. Because of the number of contacts, this market reaches nearly 65% of agriculture producers in the county. Additionally, the market and the WVU Extension Service collaborated with veterinary services to provide opportunities for producers to receive pregnancy checks of cattle and complete breeding soundness exams with their bulls.
- More than 140 youths were involved in the 4-H program in Pocahontas County and participated in educational projects, community service, camping, shooting sports, visual presentations, public speaking, poster/photo exhibitions, leadership training, project fairs, livestock shows/sales and the Ham, Bacon and Egg show/sale.
- Promoting healthy lifestyles continues to be a major programming effort with initiatives such as Walk 100 Miles in 100 Days, Love Your Heart, nutrition, food safety and physical activity presentations available for the community.