Family Yoga Tips
Yoga has a number of benefits and is a great family activity that not only strengthens your body, but also your mind and spirit.
Benefits of yoga:
- Increases strength, balance and flexibility.
- Improves ability to manage stress and anxiety -- great skills for parents and kids in challenging times.
- Breathing exercises that improve focus and concentration.
- Deep relaxation reduces physical and me ntal stress and tension, while increasing calmness.
- Strengthens and reinforces your connection with your child. Don’t focus on doing it right; instead, focus on fun and spending time being active together.
Tips for your partner yoga practice:
- Check in with each other throughout the practice. Some examples: How does this pose make you feel? Is it hard to keep your balance in this pose? I like this pose because ___.
- It’s common to hold the breath while concentrating. Remind each other to keep breathing!
- Never force or strain with your poses or with your breathing. Encourage each other to keep your breathing and your postures controlled but relaxed.
- As you become more comfortable with the poses, find some new partner poses, or create your own!
Share a picture or short video of your practice with us by sending to email@example.com and follow WVU Extension on Facebook for more health and wellness information.