Upcoming 4-H opportunities statewide
- Virtual 4-H workshops for members
- Archived videos of 4-H workshops
- West Virginia families encouraged to participate in National 'Bar of Soap' Video Challenge
- Picture This! 4-H Challenge
- West Virginia Folk Dancing Workshop
Virtual 4-H workshops
West Virginia 4-H is hosting virtual workshops to help youth and their families learn about fun topics and the 4-H program. We will use the Zoom platform to host these workshops. Participants must be between the ages of 9 - 21 (or will turn 9 by September 30, 2020).
- Swine Workshop – Tuesday, May 19 at 1:30 p.m.
- Purr-fect Pals (Cats) – Tuesday, May 19 at 1:30 p.m.
- News Reporting 101 – Thursday, May 21 at 1:30 p.m.
- Show Me the Money! – Thursday, May 21 at 3 p.m.
Workshops for the week of May 18 - 22:
Join us to learn more about these topics and to have fun. If you enjoy the workshop, we will share information about how you can continue learning about swine, cats, news reporting and finances through an at-home 4-H project on the topic.
Videos of archived workshops
If you missed one of our virtual 4-H workshops or wanted to review the activities, you can register to watch archived videos.
West Virginia families encouraged to participate in the National 'Bar of Soap' Video Challenge
Join WVU Extension Service as we encourage West Virginia families to take part in the Rube Goldberg Bar of Soap Video Challenge. Using creativity and innovation, your task is to build a machine that, through a chain of events, will drop a bar of soap in someone’s hands in 10-20 steps.
In addition to participating in the national Rube Goldberg Challenge, we want West
Virginia families to shine during this fun competition! WVU Extension Service and
Mylan STEMCARE will be awarding some fun prizes to a few winners.
Grab that bar of soap, review the official Rube Goldberg competition rules/guidelines and start planning your winning machine. On Monday, May 4, visit Mylan STEMCARE to find out how West Virginia families can participate in the WVU Extension Service/Mylan STEMCARE competition.
Picture This! 4-H Challenge
We invite 4-H members and Cloverbuds to participate in the Picture This! 4-H Challenge. For this challenge, 4-H’ers are to explore their homes, neighborhoods, communities or other locations in search of objects that form letters to create a word. Participants can find the letters to spell out the name of their hometown or a word that describes the location such as home, forest, peace or joy.
Watch the Picture This! 4-H Challenge for Info
Who Can Participate: Youths who are of age to participate in 4-H are eligible to participate (youths with birth dates between May 31, 1998 and June 30, 2014).
Steps to participate:
- Take a picture of objects in the selected location that look like letters.
- Arrange the pictures into the word for display.
- Create a video for Flipgrid that includes your word along with why you selected that word and where you found your letters.
- 4-H’ers should submit their entry in https://flipgrid.com/westva4h by May 31, 2020. The password for the grid is 4HowHow!
Qualified entries will receive a small prize for participating while supplies last. One
entry will be selected by random drawing to receive $25 of Shop4-H (https://shop4-h.org/) merchandise of the winner’s choice.
Explore. Create. Have fun. We cannot wait to see your entries.
West Virginia Folk Dancing Workshop
Join us on Wednesday, May 20, 2020, at 3 p.m., for a statewide Virtual Dance
Workshop. This workshop will focus on "4-H Line Dancing" and will be taught
by Angie Groves. Learn a new dance, practice an old one, and have some fun
with your friends!