- Nov117:00 PM - 8:00 PMStrong 4-H Clubs: Volunteer Workshop Series
Contact the Ohio County Office for current news and to learn about upcoming opportunities in our local area. Ask us for more information about topics including:
Part of the National Cooperative Extension System
All universities engage in research and teaching, but the nation’s more than 100 land-grant colleges and universities including WVU, have another critical mission: Extension. Extension means reaching out, and along with teaching and research land-grant institutions extend their resources, solving public needs with college or university resources through local programs. With more than 3,000 county offices in the USA, the National Cooperative Extension System is the local front door for many citizens to their state land-grant institutions.
Putting Knowledge to Work!
The West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural resources; 4-H and youth development; food and nutrition; health and wellness; financial planning; and home gardening. These research-based programs and services are available to all Ohio County residents thanks to the tremendous support of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners, including the Board of Education and County Commission.
Ohio County Highlights
- 943 youths were directly engaged in Extension Service programming focused on STEM, health, nutrition, citizenship or leadership activities.
- The coordination of an Arbor Day Celebration resulted in 140 new trees and the creation of a Tree Board by the City of Wheeling.
- An estimated 1,000 families were given fresh produce or seeds through the Family Nutrition Program’s initiatives.
- 19,420 meals were distributed to families in partnership with the Ohio County Schools Summer Foods Program.
- 6 Ohio County 4-H members were featured on the March 22, 2021 episode of Barnwood Builders.