- Dec108:30 AM - 5:00 PMWriting Your Farm Food Safety - Bridgeport, WV
- Apr17 All Day West Virginia Extension Master Gardener Association Annual Conference
Contact the Jackson County Office for current news and to learn about upcoming opportunities in our local area. Ask us for more information about topics including:
Putting Knowledge to Work!
The West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural resources; 4-H and youth development; food and nutrition; health and wellness; financial planning; and home gardening. These research-based programs and services are available to all Jackson County residents thanks to the tremendous support of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners, including the Board of Education and County Commission.
Jackson County Highlights
- The WVU Jackson County Extension Office is fully staffed). Due to new statewide formulas and funding, we now have the most faculty and staff members possible for our office.
- Nearly 950 4-H members, 4-H Cloverbuds and FFA members took part in the 2018 Jackson County Junior Fair . They exhibited nearly 500 livestock projects and more than 1,000 still projects, in addition to the 60 youths who entered home arts exhibits in the McDonald’s Building. The 2018 livestock sale generated nearly $660,000, the vast majority of which went directly to youth exhibitors.
- John David Johnson, Gina Taylor and Missy Painter taught Venison 101 to 135 youths at Ravenswood High School. Students learned how to manage herd health; proper harvesting techniques; safe processing of the carcass; and the safe cutting, canning and cooking of meat.
- WVU Extension Service Agent Gina Taylor worked on the West Virginia Cottage Food Bill that became law in 2018. She attended Senate committee meetings and work groups, contributing information about canning safety and general food safety. Many of the suggestions were included in the law/rules. She also was asked to be a assist with the creation of a curriculum that will fit into the new requirements and which will be delivered statewide to cottage foods producers.