- Jul22 All Day Women in Agriculture Conference - Early Bird Registration
- Sep268:00 AM - 5:00 PMExtension Service Annual Meeting
- Oct1 All Day Women in Agriculture Conference - Standard Registration
- Oct18:30 AM - 5:00 PMFSMA/GAPs Produce Safety Grower Training - Bridgeport, WV
- Oct298:30 AM - 5:00 PMWriting Your Farm Food Safety - Bridgeport, WV
- Nov98:30 AM - 5:00 PMFSMA/GAPs Produce Safety Grower Training - Institute, WV
Contact the Barbour County Office for current news and to learn about upcoming opportunities in our local area. Ask us for more information about topics including:
Part of the National Cooperative Extension System
All universities engage in research and teaching, but the nation’s more than 100
land-grant colleges and universities including WVU, have another critical mission:
Extension. Extension means reaching out, and along with teaching and research land-grant
institutions extend their resources, solving public needs with college or university
resources through local programs. With more than 3,000 county offices in the USA,
National Cooperative Extension System is the local front door for many citizens
to their state land-grant institutions.
Putting Knowledge to Work!
The West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your
community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural
resources; 4-H and youth development; food and nutrition; health and wellness;
financial planning; and home gardening. These research-based programs and services
are available to all Barbour County residents thanks to the tremendous support
of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners,
including the Board of Education and County Commission.
Barbour County Highlights
- More than 800 youths received school enrichment programs through Barbour County 4-H, including STEM education programs and ATV safety programs.
- The Barbour County 4-H land judging team traveled to Oklahoma and won the 2018 national land judging contest.
- The Barbour County calf pool generated an additional $150,000 for eight producers involved.
- The Family Nutrition Program delivered more than 275 classroom lessons to more than 1,000 students in schools and 4-H camps.
- Public health campaigns reach more than 3800 youths and 2700 adults in the county.
- The agriculture and natural resources agent performed 400 individual consultations with Barbour County residents.