Ben Goff, WVU Extension Agent in Mason and Putnam counties, offers recommendations for landowners and tenants who want to prepare for the upcoming farming season and work to minimize their respective risks.
Goff covers a variety of tips for farmers and landowners regarding farm leases, including:
- Why a written lease is preferred over a verbal or "handshake" agreement
- How to cover the basic components of a lease
- How to include potential concerns from each party
- Common clauses that are found in farm leases
- How to properly make changes to the lease
- Where to find help to create your lease