- Aug186:00 PM - 8:30 PMWV Woodland Stewards Seminar--August 2020
- Aug206:00 PM - 9:00 PMMaster Gardener Fall Training - Introduction to the WVEMG Program
- Oct276:00 PM - 9:00 PMMaster Gardener Fall Training - Wildlife Management
Contact the Mercer County Office for current news and to learn about upcoming opportunities in our local area. Ask us for more information about topics including:
Part of the National Cooperative Extension System
All universities engage in research and teaching, but the nation’s more than 100 land-grant colleges and universities including WVU, have another critical mission: Extension. Extension means reaching out, and along with teaching and research land-grant institutions extend their resources, solving public needs with college or university resources through local programs. With more than 3,000 county offices in the USA, the National Cooperative Extension System is the local front door for many citizens to their state land-grant institutions.
Putting Knowledge to Work!
West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural resources, 4-H and youth development, food and nutrition, health and wellness, financial planning and home gardening. These research-based programs and services are available to all Mercer County residents thanks to the tremendous support of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners, including the Board of Education and County Commission.
Mercer County Highlights
- Agriculture and financial literacy programming was presented at 14 schools/learning centers with over 1,100 youth contacts in Mercer and surrounding counties. There are currently fourteen raised beds and one in ground garden in Mercer County.
- Two Progressive Agriculture Safety days were held, educating 760 students how to be safer around the home and when visiting farms.
- In addition, the 4-H program worked with over 1,500 youth throughout the county with six or more hours of programming in health, science and citizenship activities.
- Families and Health adult and youth instructors reached more than 381 adults and 1,130 youths during various programs and activities throughout the 2016/2017 year.