WVU Hampshire County Extension Service
At your service in our community.Sign up to receive email updates!
- Jun27 All Day Cancelled - WVU National Junior Firefighter Camp 2020
Contact the Hampshire County Office for current news and to learn about upcoming opportunities in our local area. Ask us for more information about topics including:
Part of the National Cooperative Extension System
All universities engage in research and teaching, but the nation’s more than 100 land-grant colleges and universities including WVU, have another critical mission: Extension. Extension means reaching out, and along with teaching and research land-grant institutions extend their resources, solving public needs with college or university resources through local programs. With more than 3,000 county offices in the USA, the National Cooperative Extension System is the local front door for many citizens to their state land-grant institutions.
Putting Knowledge to Work!
The West Virginia University Extension Service works to provide solutions in your community through key programs and resources, including agriculture and natural resources; 4-H and youth development; food and nutrition; health and wellness; financial planning; and home gardening. These research-based programs and services are available to all Hampshire County residents thanks to the tremendous support of our community members, local organizations, volunteers and local partners, including the Board of Education and County Commission.
Hampshire County Highlights
- More than 700 local youths were engaged in hands-on STEM learning activities and programs with two summer STEM VISTAs.
- The Hampshire County 4-H teen leadership program continues to be a successful outreach program with more than 40 teens participating in mentoring, planning and leading county 4-H events.
- The Hampshire County junior 4-H robotics team placed at the regional level and went on to represent our county at the state level.
- The area wool pool took in around 14,000 pounds of wool from approximately 40 producers.
- Approximately 50 non-English speaking immigrant workers were certified in Worker Protection Standard training.
- 76 youths from five counties participated in Youth Day at Poultry Week. Hampshire County took first place in the FFA divisions.