Last year, the West Virginia 4-H All Stars generously funded to four mini-grants for West Virginia 4-H teens/teen leader groups to assist in the planning and completion of a community service project through the My Hands to Larger Service 4-H Project. The 2020 projects were diverse and creative. The images shown are from Wood County's Recycled Sleeping Mats for the Homeless project, where the Teen Leaders learned to repurpose plastic shopping bags to make sleep mats for the local homeless population.
The All Stars have voted to continue their support for 2021, generously funding up to ten $150 mini-grants for West Virginia 4-H teens/teen leader groups to assist in the planning and completion of a community service project. We cannot wait to see the creativity of the 4-H youth interested in supporting our communities during this unique period in time!
- February 1, 2021 – submit the grant application.
- March 1, 2021 – recipients will be notified.
- July 16, 2021 – deadline to complete the service projects.
- August 6, 2021 – deadline to submit final grant report and display for exhibition at the State Fair of West Virginia.
Applicant criteria: Teams/clubs may apply for this grant, but a ‘lead’ applicant, meeting the criteria, must be listed.
- Applicant must be a 4-H member. Adult guidance is encouraged, but this grant should be written by a youth member or team.
- Be at least 12 years old as of 10/1/2020.
- Have previously completed at least 1 year of 4-H.
- Enrolled in the “My Hands to Larger Service” 4-H project book as a resource for selecting and planning a community service project. Youth may sign up for the project in Zsuite on their enrollment for 2020-2021.
Applications must have the approval of the county Extension Agent. The county extension office will receive the check and be responsible for disbursement of funds.
Limitations: Funds cannot be used to purchase items to donate elsewhere (ex. pet food for a local animal shelter), as payment to an individual or group, or for items to benefit the individual/group performing the service (ex. shirts, food, etc.)
More information and mini-grant application is available in Zsuite.