West Virginia 4-H is excited to announce the 2023 State 4-H Beekeeping Essay Contest!
The topic for this 750-1000 word essay is The Importance of Beeswax.
It is open to any active 4-H member between the ages of 8 (as of September 30, 2022) and 18 (as of January 1, 2023).
You do not have to be a beekeeper to enter! Upon request, we can provide contact information for local beekeepers to interview. Please contact John Murray to coordinate this support.
Prizes will be awarded to top state-level entries in both Junior and Senior divisions, and the overall state-level winner will advance to the 2023 National 4-H Beekeeping Essay Competition for a chance to win one of three cash prizes, including $750 for first place, $500 for second place, and $250 for third place.
How To Enter
Submit your completed essay online by Sunday April 2nd at 11:59 p.m. through the "2023 State 4-H Beekeeping Essay Contest" event in ZSuite.Submit in 4-H ZSuite
Essay Topic: The Importance of Beeswax
Although honey bees are much-beloved for honey, bees also produce beeswax that can be used in many ways. For this essay, a 4-H student should discuss why beeswax is so important to the hive (it's a pantry, it's a nursery, it's the dance floor), but also discuss their favorite way to use beeswax outside the hive.
Photos of candles, soaps, or lip balms that are made to show the 4-H'er's skill in using beeswax are welcomed as are recipes or brief instructions.
The 2023 State 4-H Beekeeping Essay Contest is open to all active West Virginia 4-H'ers. You do not need to be a beekeeper to enter an essay in this contest. Pre-submission support will be made available upon request. Please reach out to John Murray and your Local Extension Office if you would like assistance in finding reputable beekeeping resources or help locating a West Virginia beekeeper to interview for this essay. The best overall essay will be entered in the National Competition following final revision.
Competition Rules & Essay Requirements
- Essays must be typewritten or computer-generated on single-sided pages and formatted following standard manuscript format using double-spaced type and 12pt font in a legible font face.
- Essays must encompass the designated topic in 750 to 1,000 words. Word count does not include sources, works cited or the writer’s biographical statement.
- All factual statement and interview references must be cited in a “sources” or “bibliography.”
- Essays will be judged on (a) scope of research, 40%; (b) accuracy, 30%; (c) creativity, 10%; (d) conciseness, 10%; and (e) logical development of the topic, 10%.
- On a separate page, please include a brief biographical statement of the writer including mailing address, email address and phone number.
Deadline for State Submission
- Sunday April 2nd at 11:59 p.m. through the "2023 State 4-H Beekeeping Essay Contest" event in ZSuite.
Awards will be distributed to WV’s best essays in both junior and senior divisions. The state level overall winner will advance to the 2023 National 4-H Beekeeping Essay Competition for a chance to win one of three cash prizes, including $750 for first place, $500 for second place, and $250 for third place.