Hey West Virginia families, join us in participating in the Rube Goldberg “Water a Plant Video Challenge!”
The WVU Rube Goldberg Bar of Soap Challenge was such a huge success. Thank you to all the West Virginia Families that participated! You can view the winning families at the bottom of the page.
We had so much fun, we decided to sponsor a second competition. Are you and your family looking for something fun and challenging to do as a group? If you answered, yes, you will want to join us for some friendly competition.
WVU Extension Service and Mylan STEMCARE encourage West Virginia families to participate in the Rube Goldberg Water a Plant Video Challenge. The Rube Goldberg Foundation is inviting families from all over the world to work together to build a Rube Goldberg machine that waters a plant. Using creativity and innovation, your task is to build a machine that will cause a chain reaction of events (10-20 total steps) leading to a plant being watered.
WVU Extension Service and Mylan STEMCARE want to encourage West Virginia families to participate and are awarding prizes to four winning machines. The first-place winner will receive a LEGO WeDo 2.0 Robot Kit. Additional prizes can be won through the national competition.
So, grab your favorite plant, review the competition rules/guidelines and start planning your winning machine. Let’s Go!
Who Can Participate: West Virginia youths and their families are welcome to participate. In order to be eligible for consideration for the WVU Extension Service and Mylan STEMCARE prizes, families must be from West Virginia.
Please note, families from all over the U.S. are encouraged to participate in the official Rube Goldberg Challenge.Submit Your Own Rube Goldberg Machine
How Do You Get in the Competition?
- Deadline: Before midnight on August 7, 2020
- Rules: Read the official rules on the Rube Goldberg website.
- How to Submit: Once you’ve finished your video, upload it to YouTube and mark “not private.” Complete the WVU Extension Service online challenge form to be considered for our West Virginia competition (and to have a chance to win prizes!)
- First Place Prize: LEGO WeDo 2.0
- Second Place Prize: K’NEX Crane
- Third Place Prize: Marble Genius Marble Run
- Fourth Place Prize: Klutz Lego Chain Reactions
Bar of Soap Winners
- First Place Winner: The Morris Family
- Second Place Tie Winners:
- The Solanki Family
- The Orrego Family (they also won the “Family Fun” award from the national competition)
- Third Place Winner: The Chang Family
- Fourth Place Winner: The Tomlinson Family
Congratulations to all of our winners and a big thank you to everyone that participated in the Bar of Soap Challenge!
If you have additional questions, please contact Jason.Fillhart@mail.wvu.edu.