Jefferson County Energy Express
Energy Express is a summer reading program for children entering 1st through 6th grades. Energy Express is a free program that focuses on continuing literacy education throughout the summer months through art, writing, and drama activities. Although it may look a little different this year, we are still planning to offer the program.
At Energy Express you will:
- Make new friends.
- Express yourself through art, writing, and drama activities.
- Get a book to keep each week.
- Spend time with a college student mentor.
Apply for the Energy Express program!
NOTE: Additional details will be provided, as they are available.
(Child applications taken until all spots are filled, child selection is based
on a variety of criteria. There are a limited amount of spots for the program
and admittance is not guaranteed).
Want to donate to help Energy Express?
- Buttons and beads – jewelry making for costumes, collage, sculpture, puppets
- Clothesline and clothespins – to create display/drying area
- Containers (cardboard containers, plastic cottage cheese or yogurt containers, margarine bins) – for all kinds of storage, drums, musical rattles
- Cotton balls – used to blend chalk drawings, collage
- Cupcake paper liners
- Empty cereal, cracker, shoe boxes – book covers
- End rolls of newsprint (from newspaper offices) –murals, writing big stories
- Feathers – used to paint, collage, sculpture
- Flour – papier-mâché
- Foam egg cartons – for paint containers/palette
- Foam meat trays (disinfect with water and bleach!) – palettes for painting
- Large appliance boxes – private reading spots, buildings, cars, castles
- Magazines with lots of pictures – collage, illustrations—appropriate titles
- Newspapers – preparing spaces for making art, stuffing paper bag sculpture
- Packing material (foam peanuts or shredded paper) – collage, sculpture
- Paper bags (all sizes) for masks, personal storage, sculpture
- Paper plates
- Paper towel or toilet paper tubes for sculpture, cardboard box construction
- Plastic buckets with lids – for storing items
- Plastic grocery bags
- Plastic rings from soft drink packs – bubble making, collage
- Sand – sand painting, casting plaster of Paris
- Shower curtains or old sheets – drop cloths
- Shredded paper (used for stuffing)
- Socks and pantyhose – puppets
- String, thread, yarn, spools – mobiles, collage, spools for puppets or sculpture
- Textured fabrics and other materials (wool, leather, silk, netting, flannel, plastic, bark, velvet, sandpaper, screening) – collage, costume making, puppets
- Used file folders – bookmaking, portfolios
- Wallpaper sample books – for decorating book covers, collage
- Wrapping paper, freezer paper, or butcher paper drawing, painting, collage