At an earlier time you showed interest in being involved in the Master Gardener Program here in Cabell County. I’m pleased to inform you that our classes will start on January 9 with an organizational and sign up meeting. The remaining classes, dates and subject material will be passed out on January 9 at the orientation.
The cost of the program is $150 which will cover the cost of the extensive study manual as well as name badges, insurance and miscellaneous class expenses. Please be prepared to pay this fee by the orientation meeting. Classes will be Thursday evenings from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m., in the Fellowship Hall of Enslow Park Presbyterian Church located just off of the Hal Greer Boulevard Exit at 1338 Enslow Boulevard, Huntington, W.Va.
In addition to completing the courses, Master Gardener graduates need to volunteer for 40 hours of approved gardening related community service. Once you have completed the coursework, passed the certification exam and documented the 40 hours of volunteer service within one year of completing the course, you will be certified as a Master Gardener. The course coordinators, Debbie Martin and Jane Wilson, will acquaint you with many opportunities to complete your service requirement including the WSAZ Home and Garden Show, plantings as part of Huntington in Bloom, volunteering at The Wild Ramp and many others.
Please note that there are some required classes that everyone must attend prior to earning a Master Gardener certification. These required special classes include:
- Pesticide and Safety and Soils
Class will be cancelled if Cabell County has cancelled school for a snow day. We look forward to seeing you at the Orientation Meeting on Thursday, January 9, 6:30 p.m., at Enslow Park Presbyterian Church. If you have any questions email them to email@example.com or contact Evan Wilson at the Cabell County Extension Office at 304-526-8458.
- INTRODUCTION – January 9 – Evan Wilson
- GARDEN BASED LEARNING FOR OUR ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS – January 16 – Dr. Chuck Talbott
- **PLANT DISEASES & TURF GRASSES – January 23 – Lori Bowling
- **SOILS & FERTILIZERS – January 30 – Autumn Starcher
- **PESTICIDES – February 6 – Grant Bishop
- **BASIC BOTANY – February 13 – Steve Beckelhimer
- ROSES – February 20 – Dr. Monica Valentovic and Dr. Gary Rankin
- **ENTOMOLOGY – February 27 – Evan Wilson
- VEGETABLE GARDENING & GARDENING EQUIPMENT – March 5 – John David Johnson
- LANDSCAPING DESIGN – March 12 – Ben Borda
- GARDENING ANIMALS & GARDENING FOR LIFE – March 19 – Lori Bowling
- HONEY BEES, NATIVE BEES & OTHER POLLINATORS – March 26 – Gabe Blatt and Steve Beckelhimer
- COMPOSTING & ORGANIC GARDENING – April 2 – Lyndall Harned
- HERBACEOUS PLANTS – April 16 – Laura Maggard
- PLANT PROPAGATION, INDOOR PLANTS & NATIVE PLANTS – April 23 – Linda Mallory
- FRUIT TREES – April 30 – Dr. Mira Danilovich
- WOODY ORNAMENTALS – May 7 – Dr. Dave McGill
- SMALL FRUITS – May 14 – Dr. Mira Danilovich
- PRUNING – May 16 (Saturday) – Dr. Mira Danilovich
- TEST & MEET THE MASTER GARDENERS DINNER – May 28 – R.L and Linda Mallory’s House