Tips for Reading with Children
Talk to your children about books. Ask…
- What do you think this book is about?
- What might happen next?
- Why did _____ happen?
- What would you have done?
- How did _____ make you feel?
- What did you like about this book?
Things you can do to connect children to reading
Use a variety of books, but remember that young children love repetition. Be flexible. If a book or a strategy doesn’t work, try something else. Have fun! Enjoy your reading partner experience!
- Talk with children.
- Read to children and read with children.
- Help children read on their own.
- Write for children – model writing.
- Write with children and help children write on their own.
- Link music to reading and create play scripts.
- Make art.
Reading Partners Resources
Reading Partners minibook
Reading Partners Training Flyer
Linking Reading, Art and Writing