Enjoy garden fresh foods all year long?
There is nothing like the taste of fresh-from-the-garden vegetables and fruits. But
food begins to spoil quickly after harvesting unless it is preserved. Let WVU Extension’s
food and nutrition specialists guide you through the food preservation process.
Yes, We Can!
Extension specialists offer canning and other food preservation classes across the state. To see if WVU Extension is hosting a food preservation training class in your area, contact your local Extension office.
Ready, Set, Go:
The Canning Process
Frequently Asked Canning Questions Video Series
- How to Properly and Safely Store Home Canned Foods (3:28)
- How to Ensure a Good Seal and Recognize Spoilage (5:56)
- Canning Equipment and Its Proper Use (3:33)
- What Jars and Lids to Use for Canning (2:31)
- Canning High Acid Foods vs. Low Acid Foods (3:55)
- Do’s and Dont's of Safe Canning (6:48)
- Use of Salt and Sugar in Canning; Preventing Fruit Darkening (3:29)
- Properly Canning Tomatoes: Acid Content (3:03)